Artwork and wine benefit Oregon’s fish and wildlife
ODFW’s annual fish and wildlife art show is Saturday, Nov. 2, 1 – 4 p.m. at Duck Pond Cellars, 23145 Hwy 99W, Dundee where the winery will release its new Conservation Cuvee Pinot noir. More details.
Early season duck hunting
Warm sunny weather and bluebird skies can create challenging conditions for early season duck hunters. (And we’re not talking about sunburn.) Adjusting your tactics to these conditions will help you bag more ducks. Here are 13 tips to help you take more early season ducks.
10 tips for catching coho
Coho returns have been looking good in many rivers, including Willamette Valley rivers such as the Clackamas, Sandy and North Fork Santiam. Coho can be the bank angler’s best chance at landing a salmon. Here are 10 tips to help you catch a coho.
Best bets for weekend fishing
The fall season has trout biting, salmon fishing picking up in some areas, steelhead fishing getting good in eastern Oregon and even warmwater fish are still biting. Here are just a few suggestions for the weekend:
- This will be your last weekend of the season to fish for cutthroat trout in coastal rivers and streams before they close Oct. 31.
- Campbell, Cottonwood Meadows, and Deadhorse lakes are good choices for some great fall trout fishing.
- Best bet in the Klamath Basin is to target brook trout in the upper areas of the Sprague, Williamson or Sycan rivers.
- Recent rains have pushed fall Chinook from the north and mid-coast estuaries into the rivers. As a result, there are fish throughout many of the rivers.
- Umatilla River coho made a strong push this past week with over 750 adults returning to Three Mile Dam.
- Steelhead are spread out in the lower Deschutes as far upriver as South Junction.
- Steelhead are starting to move into the John Day River.
- Expo pond has some surprisingly large bass with decent bank fishing opportunities this time of year as vegetation dies back.
- Reinhardt Park Pond has also been seeing some good fishing for warmwater species, and for recently stocked trout.