Reminders for big game hunters – Your 2019 hunting season begins now
- Avoid the rush and apply early for your 2019 big game tags. Here’s how to apply for a controlled hunt.
- Add a premium hunt application to your shopping cart. Here are some of the reasons you should.
- Don’t forget to report your 2018 hunts by April 15. You can report online or by phone at 866-947-6339.
Youth turkey season April 13-14
This early-season hunt gives young hunters 17 and younger a chance to get in the field and tag a tom before the general season begins on April 15.
Take the family fishing
ODFW makes it easy to take your family fishing – with free fishing events, recommended family-friendly fishing locations, and how-to text and videos on everything from buying your gear to cooking your catch.
Preview the spring bear season
Late season snows will limit access and delay green-up. See what else is in store for the 2019 season in the spring bear hunting forecast now posted online.
Best bets for weekend fishing
Anglers are spoiled with choices for weekend fishing — trout, winter steelhead, spring Chinook and bass/warmwater species – take your pick.
- We’re hitting the peak winter steelhead season on the middle and upper Rogue.
- Bass and other warmwater fishing is picking up in many parts of the state in response to recent spring temperatures.
- The fishing dock at Eel Lake is a great place for kids to fish for bluegill and crappie.
- Some popular fisheries like Detroit Reservoir, Henry Hagg Lake, and Thief Valley Reservoir are being stocked with trout this week, along with many other waterbodies.
- Anglers are catching spring Chinook on both the Columbia and Willamette rivers.
- Keep an eye on surf conditions and when conditions allow, plan to hit the beach for surfperch fishing. Spring and early summer fishing can be excellent.
- It’s springtime on the lower Deschutes River and trout fishing should be good from Mack’s Canyon to the locked gate.
- This is a great time of year to fish Willow Creek Reservoir, where the fingerlings stocked last year should be 10- to 12-inches and the reservoir is scheduled to be stocked with trophies the week of April 1.