ODFW Recreation Report: Bow fishing event, Ladd Marsh bird festival, best bets for GREAT weekend fishing, family fishing events
Take aim at fish – bow fishing event on May 19
ODFW will be hosting a free Family Bow Fishing Event on Sunday, May 19 at Fern Ridge Lake. This unique style of fishing offers anglers a new take on fishing and archers a new way to put their skills to work. Gear and instruction will be available. Or, bring your own gear if you have it.
Ladd Marsh Bird Festival May 17-19
Catch the height of spring migration and nesting in the Grande Ronde Valley
With an exceptionally diverse bird population, Ladd Marsh Wildlife Area is hosting the 14th annual Ladd Marsh Bird Festival May 17-19, 2019. The festival offers an uncrowded, family friendly birding opportunity for expert and novice birders.
Best bets for GREAT weekend fishing
If you’re not jazzed about going fishing this weekend, you’d better check to make sure you’ve still got a pulse! Spring offers some of the best and most diverse fishing of the year, and there are lots of good reasons (too many to list) to hit the water this weekend, including:
- Spring Chinook fishing on the Willamette and Rogue rivers has been hot.
- This is one of the best times of the year to target surfperch along the coast.
- After a few weeks of warmer weather, bass and other warmwater fishing is picking up in waterbodies throughout the state.
- There are trout everywhere (well, practically). Dozens of waterbodies have been stocked with thousands of trout this spring and the warmer spring temperatures have put them on the bite.
- The weather! As if great fishing isn’t enough, the forecast is calling for warm temps and plenty of sunshine.
Find more details about all the weekend opportunities in the zone reports.
Family fishing events for May 4 & 5
There will free Family Fishing Events this Saturday at Vernonia Lake, Sheridan Pond and Bikini Pond (Mosier) and on Sunday at the Alton Baker Canoe Canal (Eugne). At each event, ODFW staff and volunteers will show you everything you need to know to go fishing – from baiting the hook to landing your catch. Heck, we’ll even loan you the gear you need. No pre-registration is required.
Find details for each event here.
Apply for a premium hunt
A chance to draw an additional tag on top of your controlled hunt or general season tag
Premium hunt tags also offer a long hunting season during the peak of the rut, and no preference point advantage. All applicants have an equal chance of drawing a tag. Even if you’ve already applied for your 2019 controlled hunts, it’s not too late to apply for a premium hunt.