Best bets for weekend fishing
- Winter steelhead fishing is in peak season on the north coast. The Nestucca, Trask and Wilson are in good shape and should remain so for the weekend. Best bets for hatchery fish are the Nestucca and Wilson.
- Winter steelhead fishing on the Alsea, Siletz and Siuslaw has improved with the recent rains and rise in river levels.
- Winter steelhead season is in full swing on the lower Rogue. Both bank and boat anglers are catching fish.
- Winter steelhead are also thick on the Chetco, Elk and Sixes rivers.
- The first hatchery spring Chinook has been caught on the Willamette River, marking the beginning of this popular fishery.
- Ice fishing for yellow perch has been good at Lake of the Woods.
- Anglers are targeting hybrid bass in Ana Reservoir.
Find more details about all the weekend opportunities in the zone reports.
Winter trout fishing
For anglers who are willing to brave the elements and patient enough to let things happen, it’s not too early for trout fishing. In the NW, SW and Willamette zones we’ve been stocking rainbow trout in many lakes and ponds – check the trout stocking schedule. In other zones, check out the year-round trout fishing opportunities in the Crooked, Deschutes, Fall, Metolius, Blitzen and Wallowa rivers.
Hunters have until April 15 to report their 2018 hunts
The deadline to report all 2018 big game and turkey tags has been extended until April 15, 2019 (from Jan. 31) to give hunters more time to report under ODFW’s new licensing system.
Buy your 2019 license
ODFW’s new licensing system lets you decide how to carry your 2019 license, tags and other documents. You can choose paper documents that you buy on line and print at home, or purchase at a license vendor. Or, you can choose electronic and carry your documents on your smartphone.