ODFW Recreation Report: 2018 reporting, youth turkey this weekend, family fishing, best bets for fishing
Time’s running out to report your 2018 hunt
There are just a few days left to report your 2018 hunt by the April15 deadline. You can report online or by phone at 866-947-6339.
Youth turkey season is this weekend
This early-season hunt gives young hunters 17 and younger a chance to get in the field and tag a tom before the general season begins on April 15.
Take the family fishing
ODFW makes it easy to take your family fishing – with free fishing events, recommended family-friendly fishing locations, and how-to text and videos on everything from buying your gear to cooking your catch.
Best bets for weekend fishing
Water is high and turbid in many fisheries due to recent spring rains, but here are some places where the fishing will be good this weekend:
- The Nestucca and Wilson rivers on north coast should be in good shape for winter steelhead fishing.
- Surfperch fishing has been “pretty darn good” according to our fish biologist in Gold Beach.
- If your local rivers are running high and muddy, consider some trout fishing in one of the dozens of waterbodies that have been stocked recently.
- Both North and South Twin lakes are ice-free and there are good opportunities for holdover trout.
- Thief Valley Reservoir full, ice-free and stocked with 7,500 legal-size and 500 trophy-size rainbow trout.
Find more details about all the weekend opportunities in the zone reports.