“Business Foundations” Workshop Series Free to Public
Classes are available in Baker City, La Grande, and Enterprise
ENTERPRISE, Ore. – Northeast Oregon Economic Development District (NEOEDD) offers a free, six-week workshop series to help entrepreneurs and small-business owners build the basis for a successful enterprise. Register by Friday, Apr. 19 to reserve your seat in Baker City, La Grande, or Enterprise. But, don’t wait—class size is limited!
Lisa Dawson has taught “Business Foundations” for more than ten years, and her students—existing and aspiring entrepreneurs in Baker, Union and Wallowa counties—continue to give her rave reviews. This hands-on class covers the basics of running a successful business: overhead and inventory costs, goal-setting and sales projections, marketing, taxes and licensing, and other considerations, and brings it all together in a business plan.
Thanks to a Community Development Block Grant through City of La Grande, the classes are offered free of charge.
NEOEDD offers a free, six-week workshop “Business Foundations” series to help entrepreneurs and small-business owners build the basis for a successful business. Business Foundations takes place from 6 to 9 p.m.:
La Grande: Tuesdays, Apr. 23, 30, May 7, 14, 21, 28; at IGNITE, 104 Depot St.
Enterprise: Mondays, Apr. 22, 29, May 6, 13, 20, Jun. 3 (not meeting May 27); at Building Healthy Families, 207 E Park St.
Register by Friday, Apr. 19 at http://tinyurl.com/y39bnk5a or contact the office at 541-426-3598, 800-645-9454, or email@example.com. Preference is made to people with low-to-moderate incomes; income verification is required.
The workshops last six weeks, with the following topics:
- Gaining Perspective: Consider your business concept.
- Laying the Foundation: Define line of business and analyze financial essentials, from overhead costs to break-even point.
- Getting into the Flow: Cover the financial essentials of cash flow, sales forecasting, and financial documents.
- Mission & Markets: Revisit mission, discuss market research, and identify competitors in order to align with target markets.
- Get the Word Out: Discuss creative marketing strategies and give peer feedback on marketing materials.
- Goodbye & Good Luck: Present your business plan, share final pitch, and plan for next steps.
Here’s what former class participants have to say about the Foundations class:
- “[I appreciated Lisa’s] low-key and helpful attitude, and her desire to help each of us regardless of our business choices.” –Participant in Halfway
- “I hadn’t looked at break-even point, overhead costs, and marketing costs before this class.” –Participant in Enterprise
- “[I valued] being able to get a grasp on my business intentions and the necessary work involved to be successful.” –Participant in Baker City
The Northeast Oregon Economic Development District’s mission is to provide resources and facilitate quality decision-making for the benefit of entrepreneurs, businesses and communities in Baker, Union, and Wallowa counties. Learn more about our programs and business support at www.neoedd.org.